University Of New South Wales

Product and Manufacturing Design

MANF3100

Iowa State Course Substitution

ME Technical Elective

M E

Course Info

International Credits: 6.0
Converted Credits: 4.0
Semester: spring
Country: Australia
Language: English
Course Description:
This course focuses on making certain that a complex design—whether mechanical, mechatronic or aerospace—can also be successfully manufactured, from a quality as well as cost perspective. The key concept is the ability to translate functional requirements of a design into detailed subsystem-, equipment- and ultimately component-level specifications. These designrelated specifications are then further developed into process specifications and ultimately support process selection and planning. Whereas the course has a strong focus on processing and transformation technology, the economic analysis of manufacturing processes is also an important part of the course. The reason for this is that around 70% of manufacturing costs—including material, processing and assembly—are determined by design specifications before the product even hits the factory floor. The remaining 30% of costs are determined by operational decisions, including machine selection, process planning, scheduling, routing and so on. Topics include an overview of transformation processes and related cost and quality drivers, design for manufacturing related methodologies including quality function deployment (QFD), concurrent design, lifecycle design, value analysis, value engineering, robust design, axiomatic design and tolerance analysis. The course also introduces basic jig and fixture design for different levels of automation and manufacturing processes as well as an introduction to metrology for manufacturing engineers. Modern CAD/CAM systems contain sophisticated functionality and modules that automate some of the analysis and design functions with respect to process planning and even jig design. We have planned for an industry expert to give a guest lecture on this topic. The course will combine lectures with practical case studies that require the theory taught to be applied to actual product designs and prototypes. Students have the option to bring their own examples and case studies into the course or alternatively select one of the recently developed designs provided in class. Course Outline: MANF3100 4 The course aims to develop you into a skilled and all-rounded design engineer able to carry out and manage the key design processes in parallel and concurrently. Design is inherently complex and a systematic, yet flexible, agile and interdisciplinary approach is required to bring product to the market successfully and in less time. The course teaches this approach based on global best-practice methodologies, and incorporates case studies and projects, even your own designs and plans, to apply these methodologies and become proficient at them.

Review

Evaluation Date:
June 5, 2019
Evaluated:
Christian Schwartz